Wednesday, August 04, 2010

On Missing My Daddy

Today is the 6th Anniversary of my Dad's passing. I'm aware of what today is, but I don't necessarily associate today with him. When I think of my Dad, I think of mainly two things: The Store and The Farm.
My parents moved from Memphis back to Parsons in 1970 and bought the Western Auto store on Main Street. Later, Jones Furniture was added which also included hunting supplies - as seen in this great picture. All of us kids grew up working at The Store while in high school and college. I loved it....though not as much at the time. I loved all the people that came in just to talk and eat lunch. I loved all the hunters that came in to brag or talk 'smack'. I especially loved watching my Daddy as he was in his element. He spoke to everyone, knew most by name, he was the ultimate salesman and wise businessman.

I also have many fond memories of my Dad at The Farm, a piece of property on the river that has been in our family for many years. This is where on Sunday afternoons I learned to drive our truck while dodging cows, plowing through mud puddles and traveling where there was no road. I loved the farm because it was the one place that Dad and I went, just the two of us. I learned to shoot a rifle and spent many weekends on the river 'bumping the bottom for catfish'.


This is one of My Favorite Pictures of Dad and myself with Aunt Ruth.

So, as I think about today I'm sad that my children never knew him but I'm thankful that God has given me so many precious memories of my wonderful Dad.

6 comments:

mirandagail said...

wow, it sounds like you had an awesome "growing up"!

Ginger said...

He was a great man!! I spent many nights at your house with Lisa and I always felt like I was one of the "girls". I lost my dad 7 years ago on august 14th and I had a wonderful dad too and miss him so very much. We are both very fortunate to have grown up with such loving parents. My thoughts are with you.

Ginger

Anonymous said...

Shooting mistletoe, fishing and learning to drive a straight shift (Dad's truck) at the farm, wrapping gifts on an ironing board for customers and searching for Christmas Lay Aways at the store are part of my memories of Dad (he was always Daddy to me and JD to Dan). Thanks for posting Beck, today was a day for memories.
Lisa

Jodi said...

Yay! I finally found your blog :) I remember Daddy most when I think about the store and also the garden. I can remember as clear as if it were yesterday that straw hat and white tshirt and khaki shorts that he would wear on Wednesdays when it was his garden and yard day. I also miss working with him because he was just so full of life up at the store. I loved it like you, a little more now than then. I didn't know I would come to miss it one day.

Wilkie said...

What a great Dad. I love Dads who know that girls can shoot too. Thanks for sharing.

Liana said...

Hey Becki! I had no idea you had a blog until I saw you had commented on mine this week. I have enjoyed reading your posts, especially this one. I look forward to read more from ya on here. :-)